Linzertorte Cookies



These are a Christmastime regular in my kitchen and a favorite treat to add to Christmas gift baskets.

Yield: approximately thirty 2.5" diameter cookies

ingredients:
  • 1 cup nuts, toasted and coarsely to finely ground (any combination of almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans is great - just use what you have on hand)
  • 1 cup oats, regular or quick, ground in with the nuts (see instructions below)
  • 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup light vegetable oil (I use sunflower)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • zest of 1 orange or lemon (I usually prefer orange)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
  • 1/4 cup jam (I use raspberry, but really any jam will do)
method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a blender, grind nuts and oatmeal together into a coarse meal.










In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.








In a smaller bowl, combine all wet ingredients.








Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to form a stiff dough.  Add a bit more flour if the dough looks too wet. You will be rolling it between sheets of wax paper, so it must not be wet or sticky. 

Place a sheet of wax paper on your work surface and place a dough ball of about 1/3 the total mass onto the sheet. Press flat, then top with a second sheet of wax paper and roll out the dough until it is about 1/4" thick.  





Stamp out the desired shape with a cookie cutter and transfer cookies to baking sheet. 







Once all the dough has been used up, make shallow indentations in the center of each cookie with your finger or thumb.  Fill indentations with a small amount of jam.






Bake until slightly golden, about 15 - 17 minutes.

Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.





Recipe adapted from: Sweet and Natural by Meredith McCarty



2 comments:

newkaufee@yahoo.com said...

Hi I would like to try this recipe but would like to do in a baking pan using the traditional diamond lattice-top pattern. Any suggestions on the right size pan for this recipe - I'm thinking and 8 x 8 should be fine. Also, recommendations on baking time (will be in a glass pan) would be most appreciated.
Thank you for this recipe - this is one of my mother's favorites so I will be making it for Mother's Day.

Trudel said...

I've never made this recipe in a pan, nor have I ever even made the traditional Linzertorte. I would think an 8x8 pan would be fine, but as far as baking times I really couldn't say. It depends on how thick your Linzertorte is. I have also never baked with glass, so again, I'm completely in the dark there. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help! If it were me, I would start with 20 minutes, then check the colouring of the lattice top. As soon as it starts to turn golden I'd give it another 3 minutes and then pull it out. Better a little underdone than over, and then you'll know how to adjust for next time. If you get a result you're happy with, leave me a comment as now I'm curious! Thanks!