Olive Almond Paté



This used to be a staple item in my kitchen, way, way, waaaay back (I'm talkin' mid-90's) and over the past years I seem to have completely forgotten about it.  I was digging through my old recipe book the other day and came across this, so thought I'd revive it, make a batch and put the post up here.

The paté has a very 'earthy' taste, very '80's vegetarian kitchen', but that can still be a good thing, right? It's the pungent flavours of black olives (which alone I'm actually not a fan of at all), onion and sage that I think really dominate this.  It's great on crackers, toast, or my husband's favourite way - nibbling it on it's own.

Yield: 1 8"x8" baking tin

ingredients:
  • 1 can whole, pitted black olives
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
  • 1/4 flour (whole wheat, spelt, or whatever you like)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp sage
method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend on high until relatively smooth (there will still be small chunky bits - this is okay).  This may take a few minutes. 

Line an 8"x8" baking pan with parchment paper, or slightly oil the pan, and pour in the blended mixture.  Smooth it out nice and evenly.

Bake 45 minutes or until somewhat firm / set.

Remove from oven.  Let cool or chill before cutting into pieces and serving.  

No comments: