cran-orange & grains salad


Call me crazy, but when I created this recipe I became so hooked on it that I had to have it available in my fridge for the next 4 months! I don't make it quite as often now, but it always seems to be the first thing that disappears from the kitchen - yes, even before those crazy amazing chocolate almond cookies. (I make those as decoys for my hubby so there's more of this salad for me!)

If you love the combination of cranberry-orange even half as much as I do, then this recipe is for you! Haven't tried kamut or spelt before? They take a little longer to cook than brown rice, but yield a wonderful moist and chewy texture.

ingredients:

  • 1 cup each dry kamut & spelt grains
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • zest of 1 orange
dressing:
  • juice of 1 large orange, or 1 1/2 small - med oranges
  • 4 Tbsp flax oil
  • 1 scant Tbsp vegan mayonnaise or soy yogurt
  • salt to taste
  • optional: 1 tsp honey
method:

Cook kamut and spelt grains in about 4 cups water.

When cooked, transfer grains to a bowl and add the cranberries, orange zest and sunflower seeds.

In a small bowl combine dressing ingredients. Pour over grains and mix well.



Recipe by: Trudel; Aug. 2006

No comments: